Sunday 11 August 2013

Women's Ashes Test - Day 1

 A few (very Anglo-centric) random thoughts on the first day:
  • There is "Silly Point" and "Far Too Silly Point". Tammy Beaumont spent much of the day fielding at the latter - far too close to react to anything. Unless the only purpose was to unsettle the batsmen, it was "Really Very Little Point Indeed."
  • Katherine Brunt isn't fit, is she? She managed only 4 overs with the new ball before she gave-way to the decidedly unthreatening Jenny Gunn. I accept that a half-fit KB is probably worth two fully-fit "someone elses" but...
  • Was it my imagination; or was Sarah Taylor standing a fair bit further back to Shrubsole than she was to Brunt? (The pic above is Shrubsole bowling; and Taylor is certainly standing a long way back.) Interestingly enough, there was a speed-gun in the ground... but it was in the kids "Cricket Factory" playground - I'd like to have seen it pointed at England's quicks!
  • I thought the toss was going to be perhaps the most important moment of the entire series, because I was convinced both sides would want to bowl. Australia's decision to bat was obviously vindicated, but I'm still surprised, if only because surely England would have chosen to bowl?
  • Wormsley is nice. Lovely, even. But a proper ground, with proper facilities... and proper toilets... and proper 3G coverage would... also be lovely! (To be fair, my son (on '3') had some mobile internet coverage; but I had none on Vodafone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.